Last updated on November 26th, 2018 at 09:08 pm
Laundry is time consuming and expensive. I can’t help you make it quicker, but I can help you make it cheaper. I have been using this homemade laundry detergent recipe for over a year now, with consistently great results — and I only wash in cold water! It only has 3 ingredients, which if you look at a bottle of standard detergent, is considerably less than the commercial counterpart.
Simple Eco Homemade Laundry Detergent
2 Cups Washing Soda
2 Cups Borax
1 Soap Bar of your choice
The soap is going to be what separates your recipe from all natural and scent free, and a more commercially made detergent. If you’re just looking to save money, then any soap will do. If you want to keep it eco friendly, add a natural, scent free, dye free bar.
1. Grate your soap using a regular kitchen grater. If you wash in only cold, I suggest using the fine grating side.
2. Combine the Borax, washing soda, and grated soap in an air tight container.
3. Shake or mix well, then cover and store.
Add 1 tbsp for regular loads, or 2 for heavily soiled loads.
Washing Soda $6
2 bars of soap $4
Total = $15
At a tablespoon a load you would get 64 loads per batch, which works out to 256 loads for $15! That’s a load a day for 8 1/2 months!
- 200 Conversation Starters for Couples [Free Printable!] - February 13, 2021
- 25 At Home Date Night Ideas - January 18, 2021
- Tis the Season for Family-Friendly Holiday Events at Cineplex [Giveaway] - November 19, 2018