I’m fortunate enough to live in an area that’s rich in berry picking goodness. Specifically blueberries. Sudbury is the “Blueberry Capitol” after all. Sometimes, it’s nice to switch things up and go strawberry picking. To ensure we had ample opportunity to fill our baskets, the family and I visited Ruby Berry Farm located in Chelmsford Ontario. It’s located approximately 20 minutes north-west of Sudbury.
What they Offer:
- Family oriented berry picking experience
- Tranquil country atmosphere
- Pre-picked baskets of strawberries for sale
- Asparagus, honey, and maple syrup for sale
Upon arrival, I had mixed emotions right away. There was a huge lack of parking space, and the overall feel of the place was dingy. I understand it’s a farm but I feel like the customer area could have been better kept.
We did see some horses which were beautiful!
I had to ask the “front desk” where we were to go to pick the berries. The staff member explained somewhat but I still felt like there could have been better signs or indicators then “in the back” or “off to the right”. For someone who technically works in customer service, I would have appreciated if the staff member was warmer, but I understand this isn’t your typical customer service business.
The land was gorgeous and very well maintained.
We purchased 4L baskets for only a few dollars, and headed out to get picking! The idea is to work your way up and down the lines and fill your baskets. The pickings were slim but I’m going to chalk that up to it being late in the season. The kids had a lot of fun with this and my son said he felt like a farmer.
The berries were very reasonably priced and weighed out as we were leaving. They had a few baskets of pre-picked berries for sale, as well as local real maple syrup.
- Tis the Season for Family-Friendly Holiday Events at Cineplex [Giveaway] - November 19, 2018
- Kid-Free Weekend Getaway Itineraries Within 300km of Montreal #Sponsored - December 7, 2017
- 6 Ways to Save Money on Car Repairs #Sponsored - November 27, 2017