Looking for something to do this weekend? All Ontario Parks are offing free admission for the day on July 17th. The initiative is called “Healthy Parks Healthy People” and is in partnership with Coleman Canada.
The purpose of the event is to give us the opportunity to connect with nature and reap the many health benefits.
Spending an hour a day outside has been known to:
- Lower stress
- Lower blood pressure
- Strengthen the immune system
- Help mitigate disease
- Reduce negative emotions
- Increase curiosity, problem solving skills, and creativity
Other fun facts (via OntarioParks.com):
- Memory performance and attention span improves 20% after spending an hour interacting with nature
- Children with ADHD who regularly play in green settings have milder symptoms than children who play in built outdoor and indoor settings
- People exposed to nature recover from surgery faster, require fewer medications, and as a result, experience reduced absenteeism from work
- Communities with more green space have lower rates of crime and violence
This free day-use access is available at all 330 Ontario Parks and Coleman Canada has launched a petition to have “Let’s Get Outside Day” become a national holiday! In a digitally run world, we can sometimes forget the importance of our natural roots. We are so very fortunate to have access to the beauty that is Ontario so get outside and get playing!
Latest posts by Brittany (see all)
- Kid-Free Weekend Getaway Itineraries Within 300km of Montreal #Sponsored - December 7, 2017
- 6 Ways to Save Money on Car Repairs #Sponsored - November 27, 2017
- 2017 Holiday Gift Guide – Editor’s Picks #AVeryCdnXmas - November 13, 2017