Just because it’s not summer yet is no reason to avoid cooking with everyone’s favorite summer squash! I’ve honestly been on such a zucchini kick lately, we eat it at least once a week. My kids rolled their eyes SO hard when I told them I was making this but they quickly realized this chocolate zucchini muffin recipe is decadent, moist, and delicious.
This recipe is so easy and so versatile. They would taste amazing with chopped walnuts or pecans. The only reason I didn’t experiment with adding nuts is so I can send these to school with my kids but I will definitely try it out during the summer. If you’re looking for an extra chocolatey touch, you can also sprinkle chocolate chips on the batter once they’re in the muffin liners, before baking.
The batter is thick like brownie batter, so don’t worry! Fill the liners about 2/3 of the way full, that should yield approximately 24 muffins.
Decadent Chocolate Zucchini Muffin Recipe
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated zucchini (from about 10 ounces or 2 smallish zucchini)
- 2 1/2 cups (325 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line 24 standard muffin cups.
- Combine flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder, then set aside.
- In a separate large bowl whisk eggs, butter, oil, sugar and vanilla.
- Gently mix in zucchini.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, combining well.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon into muffin cups, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once cooled wrap in cellophane or tinfoil and store on the counter for 4-5 days. After that they can be frozen!
Brittany Wright is a mother of 2, crazy dog lady, and proud Northern Ontario resident. She created CDN Mom Blog as a place to share stories and experiences aimed at helping other Canadian based moms. She likes coffee, pick-up trucks, travel, and doesn’t mind living where the air hurts her face.
Latest posts by Brittany (see all)